Sunday, June 27, 2004

Happy Summer Memories, Today and Yesterday

"Watchout for that Anaconda, V!"

Those words came from a dear friend of mine with a beautiful southern accent. She'd usually say that just before I'd go on one of my special trips to Texas. This time my trip will take me to party central in Nawlins!! (smile)

But before I get ahead of myself, I wanted to share my feelings about this past week. It was wonderful... I'm long past that funk known as "getting over her" syndrome and have moved on to the hysterical moments of "get over yourself" behavior! (laugh) I don't do nothing crazy, mind you. I just have fun and live in the moment. I embrace my weekends with excitement. I throw on one of my jerseys and play in the fun. I hangout at my favorite Starbucks, make my long distant calls and chat over a grande, white chocolate mocha. Yesterday I got a frappucino. I guess I was feeling bold or maybe it was the hot sun... Or just maybe... Nah, "get over yourself!" Can you hear it? (smile)

I made one phone call that just lifted my spirits like winning a million dollars!! Yep, I got a friend who I cherish more than any amount of money on the planet! That's right, JLD. I could talk to this friend for hours and never get tired. Me talk for hours? Now that's a rarity!! But blessed moments do great things for your spirit...

So, after I left Starbucks I went to the mall and spent some money. I spent too much. Uh huh, yes I did but I deserve it... uh huh, I do. Then I got this idea to treat my stomach to something rare. I bought a couple fine cuts of filet mignon to grill. Whew.. I worked my magic and seasoned it to perfection aka how I like it! Then I placed it on the Weber grill, got it sizzling, flipped it, sizzle, flip, sizzle... you get the picture. The aroma with a combination of natural sauce and flavors lifted itself from the grill and seeped inside my brain! I couldn't wait to get busy devouring it. I did and it was lovely...

Summer dayz... I look back and leave you with this. Many moons ago I spent my July 4th in Texas with my parents on my grandparents farm. It was one of the last moments when all of us were together. My mother, father, grandmother and grandfather. I was maybe ten or eleven years old. Not sure, but I was pretty young. This year on the 4th of July will mark only the second time I've been in Texas on that day. Wow.. so many years in between. But the reason I remember that first time is because of my mother. In her effort to celebrate, she lit a firecracker but forgot the most important thing to do. She forgot to throw it. Can you say, ouch! (smile) She was okay. No lasting marks. She may not even remember this but I do and when I revisit that same moment in time, many many years later, I smile. Life is quite the journey...

No comments: