Monday, January 31, 2005

Generational Influence


Generations Posted by Hello

I wonder sometimes about my influence and how those that follow will recognize me. I'm not blessed just yet with any kids. It would be nice one day, sometime but I'm hoping to do that after I'm hooked up with that special somebody. So far so good... No drama, baby mama, mama baby and I'm sangle..(smile) But again, as I look at the picture I created above. My grandfather to the left and uncle Charlie Rivers to the right, I wonder how I'll fit in. These two men have left behind some serious imprints in Texas. My grandfather being a farmer and a gentleman. Charlie; a truck driver and a good man. I remember their voices like it was yesterday that I stood as a small child beneath them, listening.. I guess that's why I grew up liking cowboys so much because both of these men stood tall and had these deeply rich and powerful southern voices... They usually wore cowboy hats too. Charlie spoke more than my grandfather who was sort of like me, quiet, chose his words selectively...

It's a trip thinking about them and then my own life... Living in different times place a huge role in all of this. Me growing up and going through all the craziness of today. Been through a couple big earthquakes, a riot... I got the influences of the music, the streets, the culture, the arts. Been exposed to both country living and big city life. Been chasing dreams and catching a few. Had my heartbroken a few times. Seen the loss of family and friends that I miss constantly. Been blessed with meeting good people and not so good people. I feel like I have a long ways to go and a lot more to see and experience and yet sometimes I get tired. I take in a lot and live for more. You get winded sometimes, emotionally, spiritually but then you stumble upon reminders that show you that deep down you aint so bad. If anything when folks look back on me, I believe they gonna smile just as they do when they think of Uncle Charlie and my grandfather, Virgil Rivers, Sr. But of course with me being the kind of man that I am. A man that despite my journey thus far believes in that ultimate gift of love, there would be no greater gift than to be remembered fondly by that special someone... Charlie and Virgil had it. That's probably why they walked so tall and I imagine continue to do so up in heaven... But, I'm cool... I'll wait and continue to be me... a pure and honest example of a man that knows a little something about living, giving, and especially loving...

No comments: