Sunday, March 06, 2005

2 My Ears, They Move My Soul...


Classics to my ears! Posted by Hello

My uncle used to say to me and everybody else that this music would never last. He couldn't imagine this stuff grabbing hold of somebody and making them reminisce in the way that an old Motown joint would. But ya know what? Whew.. I've got memories for days and days and dayzzzzz... Tonight I was listening to The Wake Up Show with Sway and Tech. They were playing some Hip Hop Classics in celebration of a CD they have coming out. They played some stuff that I used to love like crazy! I mean, some of it I would be blasting from my speakers while cruising down Crenshaw Boulevard in the early 90's. I even remember listening to an NWA song with my windows rolled down and an angry glare on my face. Brothas was hanging off the side and center islands on "The Shaw" aka Crenshaw and cars were backed up all the way down the street. I got a little attention because of the song playing. That infamous one dedicated to police officers. Not the Ice T cut but the NWA one. Smile. Funny thing though, when I looked to the side, I saw a limo with Marley Marl looking right at me out of the rear window. I guess he was marveling at my nerve to be playing that song so loud. I marveled too but the beat sounded so good coming from my Nissan 240 SX. That's what I was driving back then...

Tonight, I could feel that Hip Hop magic in my bones as The Wake Up Show played Ain't No Half Steppin by Big Daddy Kane, You Gots To Chill by EPMD and Slowdown by Brand Nubian. I could visualize everything from the cruising to days and nights listening to KDAY to driving deep inside South Central LA playing "AmeriKKKa's Most Wanted" to that thumpin beat of "My Philosophy" to Fab Five Freddy and YO MTV Raps! Those were some good days and I didn't even realize it back then, which typically is the case. You never know what you got until you find yourself looking back on it years later... I miss it all.

No comments: