Sunday, January 03, 2010

2009 Year in Review...


2010 is here now and another year has come to an end. It’s amazing to even see the new number; 2010. I can remember when thinking about any year beyond 2000 was like a fantasy. And then when my life flashes before my minds eye, I cant help but wonder how I/we got here. The steps/experiences have been many and the life lessons enormous, especially recently. But right now, it’s all about remembering another chapter of life closed with an exclamation point because of 2009 being the year that my mother passed on to the heavens above. Even as I reminisce about her struggle and fight with cancer, it blows me away how the time went by and how it all started. One moment she’s in vegas enjoying her bingo playing, eating mexican food and sharing a fun outing with her sister. The next moment she’s telling me that she may have cancer and she’s not so sure how bad it could be. Soon thereafter, she knew how bad it could be and then began to get things in order and guide me through the process of what would become the end of her life. A life filled with some ups, downs and disappointments.. but also a life where she’d found her place in the end and was really joyous about her self discovery, her friends, and her life as a very active, young spirited senior citizen. Her only complications at that point was the worry and concern she had for me as I’d become knee deep in my own trials and tribulations. My mistakes and mis-trusts of certain individuals only ended up preparing me in a huge way for what was to come with my mother. And even as she fought until her last breath, she maintained her concern and preparation for me to be ready once she was gone. She worried that I still had to deal with a situation that seemed never-ending due to a certain individual who champions excuses over truth and simply doing what’s right. It’s pathetic but the negative energy by no means blocks the blessings of all that my mom left behind and all that she instilled in me. The best part was that she met and and enjoyed the presence of the special someone who blesses my life unselfishly to no end and her family who remind me of how times used to be when all of my family was still here on earth.. Those times when gift giving was made special by the effort, the smiling faces, the hugs, the visits as we’d travel from house to house all over LA on a cool Cali night sharing Christmas cheer. Then we’d return home eventually for some sweets, some eggnog and watching Santa Claus or Rudolph The Rednose Raindeer or The Grinch. My love’s family is incredible; truly and I feel beyond blessed that I’m embraced by them. I was thinking the other day that sometimes you can have experiences that basically kick your behind so tough that if you’re smart and truly gracious, you’ll discover the kind of humility that will always keep you appreciative… as I said, I’m beyond blessed, thankful, grateful…

But anyways, here we are now… 2009 has come to an end.. Unfortunately, I don’t think all the negativity that we see in the news and on TV will cease. And lord knows those folks out there who love to bash Obama wont give up until he’s gone. And then they’ll let up on him and probably begin to recognize his accomplishments and sincere desire to do what’s right. I question him sometimes as well and wish he would fight back harder against the critics and nitpickers but nevertheless he’s got my support and prayer. I’d like him to realize a lot of successes before he leaves office and then when he’s done, I hope he puts out a serious tell-all memoirs that details what has got to be an extraordinary experience in the White House; good, bad, sad and unbelievable… So many expect so much like he’s the second coming and others hate hate hate because of his complexion/reflection in their eyes.

I cant think of many more reasons to talk about 2009 as the major moment of losing my mother pretty much dominated it. I’m so grateful for the continued growth of my creativity and look forward to discovering more of it. And love being the greatest gift of all is truly all of that… I watched the usual year-end review of all the important individuals who left this earth in 2009 and the list is truly awesome…. Percy Sutton, Gene Barry, Oral Roberts, Edward Kennedy, Les Paul, Eunice Shriver, John Hughes, Walter Cronkite, Karl Malden, Michael Jackson, Farrah Fawcett, Ed McMahon, Keith Carradine, Dom Deluise, Bea Arthur, Ricardo Montalban, Soupy Sales, James Whitmore, Paul Harvey, Altovise Davis, Wayman Tisdale, Koko Taylor, Fred Travalena, Dominick Dunne, Steve McNair, Patrick Swayze, and my mom, GLORIA RIVERS.... Her train to heaven was filled with a lot of other first class individuals… I wonder what 2010 has in store for this world… Happy New Year… Peace?

No comments: