Sunday, April 17, 2011

Just a day...


Today seemed to be one of those days when my senses were heightened, I suppose. I mean, I could pick up on a lot of things, with respect to human behavior in this crazy town of LA. I haven't felt this since the best days of my writing when I was actively seeking these sort of moments. It was funny, it was weird at times, it was cool; each and every moment. I had planned several errands to take care of today and at first I was lazy. It's hot outside and I didn't want to leave the comforts of home. It took me a while to get out but after basically shouting at myself to get up and take care of business, I did just that. Had some bills to pay, buy some stamps, smog check, grocery store. Nothing major but still it needed to get done rather than to be put off and remain on my mind.

At the post-office when I walked in, I noticed several people standing with the arms folded, some tapping their feet and some taking in huge breaths. I knew then that, uh-oh, someone is taking forever and driving folks crazy. The post-office had three windows open and two of them had people who asked a million questions. They tried every angle they could to get out of paying too much money. One guy even brought a print out of the rules and regulations about priority mail shipping and tried to debate the person behind the counter. He kept underlining things and saying the clerk was wrong. At the other window was a woman who didn't understand the difference between international and domestic mail. She kept saying that when she mails things to New York its not that expensive. So the clerk said "but this is going to Germany, ma'am? International rates are different." They went back and forth and were still debating each other as I was leaving. And I was five people behind the other debating customer. That was a trip, especially to hear all the whispers, deep breaths, laughter, and maybe one or two people saying "I don't fricken believe this!"

The smog test place was cool. I was pleasantly surprised by the nice help, good atmosphere, and quick service. Not much to observe there except for the expensive price of sixty-five dollars but as I waited, I had a chance to say hello to my love, which of course is always a blessing and keeps me smiling...

Smart & Final was funny... The guy working there that brings in the carts had major attitude and when I approached the cart area to grab one, he gave me the evil eye but didn't make eye contact. He just stared at my shoes. I was gonna greet him and say hello but there was just too much weirdness going on there. Haha.. Anyway, inside the store as I browsed the aisles this guy with a great southern accent greeted me as he was searching for his coffee. He explained to me the differences price-wise with the coffee and he was right. He pointed to this tiny bag of flavored coffee that cost over twelve dollars and then showed me the seven dollar, very large bag of regular coffee that he had and smiled. "Ya see what I mean?" He wished me a nice day and a great weekend and when I said to him to have a great weekend too, he responded with a very hearty "YESSS!! I will certainly do that!" He had me feeling happy just to be in the store... Haha Haha... Then I must say, it was funny to hear this guy talking on his cellphone. I usually try to ignore or getaway if I can from folks who talk way too loud on their cellphones but this guy was funny as he said to the caller "I can't hear you right now, I'm walking past the aisle with the pancakes and muffins so its probably screwing up the coverage. Can you hear me now!?!?!" Several of us laughed that were standing in the area...

So, that was about an hour and a half of my day... It's nice to know that my antenna still works as I still believe every moment of our lives is important, even the most trivial because there's a story waiting to be told everywhere. And as I was returning to my car at Smart & Final, I saw the cart guy again, he still gave me the evil eye but he looked up and almost smiled but I guess it's just not cool in his mind to be nice rather than weird.. *smile* Such is life.... at least out here..

No comments: