Saturday, September 18, 2010

40 Years...






It's mindblowing that it's now been 40 years since Jimi Hendrix passed away. September 18, 1970. It would be many years later that I would learn about him and discover his art and I can pretty much recall the many times that I did discover something new, starting with the times I would just see his image on an album cover and wonder who he was. Then there was many years when I denied his music because I bought into the whole stereotype of being black, which meant you really shouldn't be into so-called "rock" music but that's silly... I was uninformed and not simply following whatever tickled my soul in a musical, artistic way. Then I embraced Hendrix music and loved his style, creatively, artistically.. His passion for what he did and/or wished to do. His struggles were obvious. so much pressure thanks to the world around him/us and who really knows what or how the drugs played a part in it. I've seen articles saying he did everything in sight and other articles saying his reported drug use was overly exaggerated. Either way, what's most important is his contribution to the world of music and how what he left behind has kept his spirit alive for decades after he's gone. People still talk about him. People wear his image on t-shirts and other garments, tattoos, etc etc... Artists influenced by his style, his music, his musicianship, etc... His voice is heard somewhere in this world every day and night.. Axis Bold As Love, Hey Joe, Wind Cries Mary, Little Wing, Machine Gun, Power Of Soul, Angel, Manic Depression, Castles Made Of Sand.. the list goes on and on... Songs that will keep him forever around...

No comments: