Saturday, January 13, 2007

Feels good to be a gentleman...



Even in the midst of all the booty-booty everywhere, it's nice to be a gentleman... I like doing it most times just because the old fashion, come to the rescue type of acts are filed in the same category as dinosaur bones... It's like an old relic of society as it's become cool to watch a lady struggle while you go on about your business, pull up your sagging pants, step through the door first and let her get the car door herself! Let's step back in time for a moment to today... I played the role of a rescuer, so to speak.. coming to the aid of a lady who just looked way too sad for words... Yeah, she was attractive.. I was guilty of first being motivated by that real time fantasy but I also felt bad for her.. This moment happened at a hand carwash. I guess she didn't want to go to the regular carwash where someone could wash her mini-van for her. She had two kids inside who sat patiently in their car seats. The lady got on her cellphone at first. I got the feeling she was calling her man. Maybe he was supposed to be there for her, washing the car so she wouldn't have to struggle with the kids... She appeared even angrier once she got off the phone. She told the kids to stay inside as she washed the car. It was both sad and funny to see her work the water hose thing and wash her mini-van. She was dressed in black sweats and a baseball cap pulled down over her head. Maybe it was a bad hair day for her but she still looked cute; no make up at all.. After she washed the car she pulled forward in the area where you dry your vehicle. That's when she really looked pissed. She just sat there. The kids sat quietly looking and I imagine they were trying to figure out what was wrong with mommy. I was done wiping off and drying my car. I turned my engine on and looked in her direction. She saw me and gave me a half smile; probably too tired and pissed off to give me the full version of her smile. I motioned for her to roll her window down. First I asked if she was okay. She just shrugged and gave me that half smile again. I said to her "I'll wipe your car for you, alright? You stay inside, no problem.." She was shocked of course because as I said, chivalry is ancient history...

So, I got some of my towels and wiped her mini-van off.. It didn't take long. I noticed her license plate was Louisiana. That gave me a little smile. One of my favorite states to escape to. When I was almost done she got out and said "thank you, I really dont know what to say... I mean, do I tip you? I mean-"
"Nah, I'm cool.. You just seemed like you needed a hand..." I told her.

I got the full version of her smile then and a little disbelieving nod of her head... I told her to hold up so I could give her a copy of my book. I gave her "Love Is Never Painless." I think my story inside is probably perfect timing for her and maybe somewhere out there when she has a moment to read it, she'll smile again... the full version... I drove off after that and she was still in disbelief but seemed very thankful... As I said, it feels good to be a gentleman...

5 comments:

Shai said...

That was nice. I understand her apprehension. Sometimes as a woman we can appear mean when really it is protective. No, not all men are out for us. The thing is when so many people are out there doing things with ulterior motives, it startles some when a nice deed is done.

I do appreciate the things gentlemen do for me, men known and unknown. I am open to a point. I also seeing how alot of men are saying they like women who smile and are gratious. I am not by nature a smiler. I love to smile in pics. I don't walk around smiling at folks.

It is sad many men out there are not gentlemenly without a motive or some don't even know how to be one.

All-Mi-T [Thought Crime] Rawdawgbuffalo said...

we are truly a dying breed man. Long live us - the old school. Last of the real men.

TTS

Tasha said...

I completely co-sign with shai. Words taken directly out of my mouth.

SimzBrazil said...

I'm really glad to read that chivalry isnt totally dead, butchered, and massacred. This is definitely giving me hope that there are some good men still out there. Thanks V, this brought a smile to my face...the full version.

Gemini Girl aka GG said...

awwwwwwwww aren't you just the sweetest..Its a shame but she probably thought you were a psycho..like who does anything for anyone anymore? she was shocked I know but then relieved...seems she was having a bad day..can you come rescue me! LOL!